If you are driving down the road and your vehicle sounds like a marching band playing on the sidelines of a Friday night football game, you may have issues. You can turn up the radio to try and drown out the sounds, but that isn’t going to fix the problem, in fact, you could be creating larger issues for your car, truck, or SUV. While some road noise is normal, there are certain vehicle noises that require immediate attention. What are they?
Vehicle Noises that Require Immediate Attention
Vehicles, much like a band instrument, need proper maintenance and care. If your Phoenix car, truck, or SUV is struggling to perform or function as it should, there are usually signs before you are faced with a complete breakdown. One easy way to identify a problem with your vehicle is if it starts producing new sounds. If you want to avoid ending up stranded somewhere and missing that big game, you need to pay attention to what your vehicle is telling you.
What are some vehicle noises that require immediate attention?
- Knocking or Pinging: If you notice a thumping, knocking, or pinging coming from your car, and it gets worse when you accelerate, you could have engine parts that are worn out and failing. It could also be an ignition problem due to a damaged spark plug or an old air filter. Any engine related problem should be looked into right away.
- Squealing: Another vehicle noise that requires immediate attention is a squealing or high pitched sound when you brake. This is typically caused by the brake pad indicator rubbing up against the rotor. The brake pad indicator is there to let you know when your brake pads have worn down and need to be replaced. This means there could be a problem with your braking efficiency and it is time to make an appointment at a Phoenix automotive repair shop.
- Rattling: If you hear something rattling around below you and it sounds like it is inside a wheel, it could be a loose lug nut. This noise commonly can be heard at low speeds and then may stop as you drive faster. This could mean your wheel wasn’t tightened properly the last time it was removed and replaced and is lose and at risk of coming off. Obviously, this is a vehicle noise that requires immediate attention.
- Screeching: Whenever you hear a screeching noise coming from under your vehicle’s hood, it is usually an indication that you have a loose or worn serpentine or other belt. Your serpentine belt drives several vital pieces of equipment in your car, including the alternator, water pump, power steering pump, air conditioning compressor, and radiator fan. If you think the screeching sound is a loose or worn belt, don’t ignore it.
- Clicking: If you hear this sound when you turn a corner, but the noise stops when you go straight, one or both of the CV joint/s on your front axle could need replacing. When one of these wear out, it loses the grease that keeps the axles lubricated. It’s best to replace the CV joint rather than waiting until you need costly axle replacements.
- Humming: A humming sound coming from under your car’s hood is a vehicle noise that requires immediate attention. This sound could be caused by several different issues. Take notice when you hear the noise happening, so you can better help your mechanic diagnose the problem. If your vehicle is making this noise, it could mean the differential needs lubricant, the transmission is failing, the universal joints or wheel bearings are wearing out, amongst other things.
- Groaning: If your vehicle sounds like it doesn’t want to turn, there is probably a power steering issue. Since being able to steer your vehicle is key to keeping it on the road, this is something you don’t want to ignore.
For the most part, when you drive your vehicle, it should be rather quiet. If yours is not, regardless if you are hearing one of the sounds we outlined, above as vehicle noises that require immediate attention, or not, you should see a local Phoenix automotive expert. Any new sound could be a sign of an issue.
Advanced Transmissions & Emissions can help with your Phoenix automotive repair needs. Don’t let sounds coming from your vehicle go unattended, as they can lead to you having larger issues. Contact us today.